Become a School Psychologist in Wyoming: School Psychology Certification and Licensure in Wyoming

Wyoming school psychologists are licensed by the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB), under the banner of the Department of Education. They are classified as Professional Services Personnel. Licensure is based on graduate education. There are minor state-specific requirements.

Optionally, school psychologist can seek credentialing through the Wyoming Board of Psychology. Depending on their education and training, they may be eligible for licensure as professional psychologists or certification as Specialists in School Psychology.

Featured Programs:

Select a Wyoming School Psychologist topic below…

Requirements for Licensure through the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board

A Wyoming school psychologist must complete an approved graduate degree program. An institutional recommendation will be required at the time of application.

The National Association of School Psychologists notes that Wyoming generally recognizes out-of-state licenses if they were granted on the basis of similar standards (

Wyoming requires educators to demonstrate knowledge of the U.S. and Wyoming constitutions. Knowledge may be demonstrated through coursework or examination ( Examinations are administered at the PTSB office and at the administrative offices of Wyoming school districts. Out-of-state candidates may arrange to have the examination sent to a proctor in another jurisdiction; the proctor can be a professor or school administrator. Candidates wishing to use an outside proctor may contact the Board at ptsbtemp at

Background Checks

Candidates for licensure through the Department of Education must have fingerprint-based criminal background checks. There is an associated $50 fee (in addition to any fingerprinting fee that may be charged by the agency).

Applicants are permitted to have their prints made at any law enforcement agency. They are to use the correct Wyoming cards. Candidates who cannot obtain cards through their local agency may contact the Board. They may send an email with the heading ‘FINGERPRINT CARD REQUEST’ to the email address found on the ‘background checks’ page of the WTPS site (

The licensing agency notes that background checks carried out by school districts are no longer accepted, but that candidates who hold current PTSB credentials (including substitute licenses) should have information on file.

If a background check does not come up clear, the Executive Director will make a determination about license eligibility.

The PTSB Application Process

Candidates use the same application packet whether they are applying as teachers or service personnel. The application includes instructions for different license types and is available for download on the PTSB site ( Candidates are advised to make sure they have the most current version.

Official transcripts are required. They must bear the university seal but do not necessarily have to be in sealed envelopes.

The institutional recommendation must be filled out by an appropriate school official. The candidate will send the form to the institution that granted the degree; the official will confirm that the program was license qualifying in that state, and that the candidate met requirements and is recommended for credentialing. The licensing agency notes that the recommendation determines what endorsements a candidate is eligible for (

Fingerprint cards are to be included with the application materials.

Wyoming currently charges a $150 initial licensing fee to in-state graduates and a $200 fee to out-of-state graduates.

Application status can be monitored online. An individual who sees “incomplete application” listed as status is advised to immediately contact the Professional Teaching Standards Board.

In cases where fingerprints are required, the typical processing time is six to eight weeks during the school year and eight to twelve weeks during the summer months. Interested individuals can click a link on the main page of the PTSB site to get updated information about processing times.

Requirements for Licensure through the Wyoming Board of Psychology

The Wyoming Board of Psychology grants the Specialist in School Psychology credential. A Specialist in School Psychology does not necessarily work for the schools but must practice under supervision.

A school psychologist who is credentialed by the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board and also holds national certification through the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) is considered to have met the initial requirements for education, examination, and experience (

A PTSB-licensed school psychologist may also demonstrate qualifications for the specialist credential directly to the Board of Psychology. To do so, the individual will need evidence of having completed a NASP-approved program. A qualifying degree may be a master’s program plus 30 additional semester hours or a higher degree that represents at least 60 graduate semester hours. An internship experience of at least 1,200 hours will be required; at least 600 internship hours must be earned in a school setting. (A NASP-certified Nationally Certified School Psychologist will have similar requirements for semester hours and internship hours, but will not be required to provide evidence of NASP program approval; there is an alternate method to demonstrate competencies.)

A school specialist candidate must pass the national examination for school psychologists. This is administered by Educational Testing Service. Candidates who apply first for national certification will also take the examination. Information is available on the NASP page of the ‘ETS’ site (

The Specialist in School Psychology will need an hour of individual supervision for each hour of service delivery for the first five years. At this point, supervision may be reduced to an hour a month.

A licensed psychologist is eligible for independent and private practice. This option, however, is only available to school psychologists who have training at the doctoral level.

Application materials for professional psychologist or Specialist in School Psychology can be downloaded from the Board website (

Additional Information

The Professional Teaching Standards Board can be contacted by telephone at 307-777-7291 or 1-800-675-6893.

The Wyoming School Psychology Association is an additional professional resource (