School Psychology Certification in Indiana: Become a School Psychologist in IN

In Indiana, a school psychologist works under a school services license issued by the Department of Education ( There are different levels of licensure. The first credential a graduate will be eligible for is Initial Practitioner; the school psychologist will eventually move up to Proficient Practitioner. Accomplished Practitioner represents a third level.

Some Indiana school psychologists are endorsed for private practice; however, there are limits on the practice of an individual whose only psychology credential is issued through the Department of Education.

Licensure at any level is based on graduate education and completion of state-specific requirements.

Featured Programs:

Select an Indiana School Psychologist topic below…

Educational Requirements for Initial Licensing

A candidate must earn at least a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution ( If the program is not located in Indiana, Indiana will evaluate transcripts upon application.

Indiana also requires a Suicide Prevention Training Certificate and evidence of training in CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver. The CPR/Heimlich Maneuver course must include training with a mannequin, though the bulk of the material may be delivered in an online format. The Department of Education has provided a list of approved providers ( The DOE has also provided links to online and traditional vendors who provide suicide prevention training (

Moving from Initial to Proficient Practitioner Status

A school psychologist attains a Proficient Practitioner credential by completing the Indiana Mentor and Assessment Program, or IMAP ( This takes at least two years of service. Currently it is the principal or other building-level administrator who determines whether the professional has met IMAP. Portfolios are no longer a requirement.

School service personnel who have received letters of IMAP completion may go online to submit their documentation and convert their license (

The Initial Practitioner (IP) license may be renewed twice. An individual seeking a second IP license will submit a paragraph explaining why the IMAP program has not been completed ( An individual who has had a third IP license issued and has not met IMAP may complete a Professional Growth Plan to extend the timeframe.

Proficient practitioner licenses are issued for five years.

Attaining Accomplished Practitioner Status

After five years at the ‘proficient’ level and at least two years of practice, a school psychologist can move up to ‘accomplished’ level. Licenses at this level are issued for ten years ( Moving to the ‘accomplished’ level is sometimes referred to as ‘professionalizing’ a license. The DOE lists Katie Russ as the contact person for questions about professionalization. She may be reached at krusso at

Independent Practice Endorsement

A school psychologist who wishes to be endorsed for independent practice will need, in addition to internship, post-degree supervised practice.

The internship is to be 1,200 hours. The post-degree requirement is also 1,200 hours (with a minimum of 600 hours accrued in a school setting). Indiana will accept supervision by a licensed psychologist, a qualified physician, or a school psychologist who has achieved national certification through the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). At the time of application, the individual will provide evidence of having had at least 30 hours of supervision over a period of six to 24 months.

Individual seeking the endorsement will also need 12 hours of training by a psychiatrist or by a psychologist with a health service endorsement. Candidates will submit ten case studies or evaluations; these may include consultations, behavior improvement plans, functional behavior assessments, and interventions; however, psychotherapy is not to be submitted as an intervention..

In most cases, a school psychologist with an independent endorsement will need to be employed at least 30 hours a week; the employing agency may be a school or other acceptable organization.

In some cases, a school psychologist may be excused from the employment requirement. However, the professional will only be able to provide services when there has been a referral from an acceptable source.

NASP notes that doctorally prepared school psychologists can seek licensure through the Indiana State Psychology Board Professional Licensing Agency ( Licensure extends scope of practice.

The Application Process

Approved Indiana institutions have license advisors who initiate the application process. Out-of-state candidates may initiate the process using the online Licensing Verification and Information System (LVIS). Paper applications are no longer accepted. The DOE has created a PDF with instructions about what to expect at different stages of the online application process (

Applicants are to submit evidence of having the two required certifications. Out-of-state candidates will need official transcripts. Those licensed in other jurisdictions should submit a copy of their licenses. If applicable, they will submit a letter documenting experience ( Professionals who have adequate experience will not need to begin at the Initial Practitioner level.

It costs $35 for a license. Out-of-state and international candidates will pay a $35 evaluation fee. They will later pay the $35 license processing fee if deemed eligible for credentialing ( Payment may be made by Visa or MasterCard through the online system. Fees are not refundable.

Indiana conducts criminal background checks at the employment level.

Additional Information

Regulations change periodically. The Office of Educator Licensing and Development (OELD) notes that there are rule changes on the table (

Professional organizations are one resource. Indiana’s state level organization is the Indiana Association of School Psychologists ( Since Indiana universities are involved in the credentialing process, they are also resources. Approved Indiana programs have license advisors (

The licensing agency can be reached at 317-232-9010. Candidates with questions may email licensinghelp at A staff directory is also available on the OELD page.